Patient Participation Group
Terms of Reference
The Friends of the Family Practice (formerly The Family Practice Participation Group) was formed in accordance with the guidance laid down in the Patient Participation Directed Enhanced Service (DES) for GMS contract 2011/12 – 2012/13.
Object and Aims
To promote and improve communications and co-operation between the Practice and its Patients for the benefit of both and to ensure that patients have the opportunity to be involved in decisions about the range and quality of services provided.This includes:
- Regularly seeking the views of a representative sample of patients.
- Facilitating effective two – way communication between patients and the Practice.
- Fostering good relations between patients and the Practice.
- Represent the patient’s voice in Practice policy and the implementation of that policy.
- Support and encourage the Practice in its dealings with other bodies.
- Identify areas for improvement.
- Membership of the FOTFP shall automatically be terminated in the event of that member ceasing to be a patient of the Practice.
- A member may, without reason, terminate their membership at any time.
- Membership may be terminated in the event of non-attendance at two consecutive meetings if reasons for non-attendance are not submitted or those reasons are not accepted by the FOTFP.
- The membership of the FOTFP shall have the power to co-opt additional members on a temporary or additional basis.
- A Chairperson and a Secretary (the Officers of the FOTFP) shall be elected by the membership of the FOTFP at the first meeting held in any calendar year. The term of office for each post is for two years.
- The Chairperson will be responsible for overseeing the meetings and for the formulation and distribution of the agenda the latter to be issued no later than ten days prior to the next meeting.
- The Secretary is responsible for the compiling and issue of the minutes of each meeting.
- Representation of the FOTFP at events other than scheduled meetings should be agreed at FOTFP meetings.
- A quorum of four members including at least one Officer must be present at a meeting to enable any decisions to be made.
- Notices of meetings, reports, minutes and other FOTPH information will be produced and displayed on Practice notice boards and Practice website from every meeting to ensure maximum Patient contact.
- Administrative assistance will be provided by staff at the Practice.
- The FOTPH will meet four times a year and will take place at the Practice.
- The Chairperson may call special additional meetings if the need arises.